Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kofu Trip 甲府の旅行

Ok it’s about time for an update hah. Over the past weekend I went to Kofu to visit James and see Chris.

On Friday night I just stayed in and studied like a nerd but that’s ok because I planned on getting up early on Saturday.

Saturday morning I woke up and did the usual wake up routine then headed out for Kofu. It took me about 4 hours to get there by train. It took me maybe 5 different train lines to get there. On the way there I saw a lot of Japanese country side, which was pretty cool.

I got there around 12:30/1:00pm and met up with Chris. James had to work until 7 or 8 that night, so Chris and I did some exploring on our own. We went to all the main shrines and a few other cool spots there. I also bought a flag there. The flag is an abbreviation for a saying that comes from the feudal warlord who ruled over Kofu back in the day Takeda 武田. It means, Be as fierce as a hurricane, steady as a forest, spread like wildfire, and be as steadfast as a mountain. It’s a really cool saying, so I had to buy the flag. Here are the pictures from the day in the link: Facebook I also uploaded videos too. Check them out.

And here are a few of my favorites from the day.

The bad ass saying

Prayer Boards
Kofu is really close to Mt. Fuji!

Later that night James finally made it back. After that we got some dinner. We decided to get some food at a Yakitori焼き鳥 place. On the way there two Japanese Jehovah Witnesses passed us on bikes and said “Sup Dawg” to us haha. It was hilarious.

At the Yakitori place I tried cow tongue 牛タンfor the first time, and it is actually pretty good. I also had some chicken cartilage or at least that’s what I think it was haha. The shop owner hooked us up with some free food too which was really nice. After that we ordered him a beer. And then to trump us he gave us something free that wasn’t even on the menu. The food was really good there, if I go back to Kofu I’m gonna have to go there again.

After the yakitori place we went and sang some karaoke. It was pretty fun, and we ordered a lot of drinks haha because it was all you can drink. We almost called it a night and headed back but we weren’t satisfied.

Then we went to a nightclub. The place was kind of small but James knew the owner. We hung out with the locals and danced. It was a good time. Then on our way home we passed a Yoshinoya, so of course we had to get some food there. We met some Australian girl there it was pretty funny. Finally we made it back around 4:30am.

The people in Kofu are a bit different from people in Tochigi (where I live). They tend to speak their mind a bit more which is good in my opinion. Apparently it is the poorest prefecture in all of Japan. I don’t think it shows, but there were a few ghetto people there haha.

Sunday morning we met up with one of James’ friends from a few years back Jade. He came over and then we went and got some breakfast at Saizeria (A Japanese Italian food place haha) After that I had to head back because I had a 4 hour trip home. I finally got back around 8 or so. Thanks to James for having me and Chris for coming over from Kyoto.

This week so far has been pretty normal. On Saturday I think I’ll go to Utsunomiya to play Ultimate Frisbee and then on Sunday I think I’m going with Carrie and Adrian to Yokohama.

No comments: